DIY Balloon Christmas String Lights
I LOVE Christmas lights! I think it's what makes Christmas magical! So, of course I wanted to make them out of balloons. I wanted to make them over-sized but not HUGE. I'd seen a couple of versions on the internet, but nothing that was really in my brain. So after a few experiments and using what was already out there as inspiration, I came up with these cuties. My favorite thing about them is you can do ANY color combination you want!
- Small Hole puncher
- 5" Balloons (always order extra just in case of popping accidents!)
- Cardstock paper (1 cardstock sheet makes 6 light bulb toppers)
- Bakers twine
- Cut the sheet of cardstock paper in half. Cut the 1st half of the cardstock paper into 6 equal pieces (each measuring 2"x6"). Cut the 2nd half of paper into 12 strips (each measuring 1/2"x12").
- Take each 2"x6" strip of cardstock paper and glue the ends overlapping each other (about 1/8" to 1/4" over).
- Then, take 2- 1/2" strips and begin gluing them as you wrap around the bottom edge of the 2" strip of cardstock that is glued together.
- Once the 2- 1/2" strips are completely glued and wrapped around the 2" cylinder, punch a hole on either side of the topper towards the top. Make sure they are evenly across from each other.
- Using a balloon pump, give your 5" balloon 5 even pump (each way is one pump). Tie the balloon and cut of the excess tail.
- With the low temp hot glue gun, drop glue in 3 spots to the bottom of your bulb topper and adhere to the round part of the balloon (tail end facing down).
- Once you've completed the amount of light bulbs desired, string bakers twine through the holes and tie off the ends.
* Some of the links in this post may be affiliate links to products. All opinions and recommendations are 100% my own.
Leave a comment